Living and Working in Mildura

You are invited to talk to our Student Support Services staff if you have personal or study problems while at SuniTAFE. The SSS has a range of qualified staff including counsellors, welfare workers and disability support staff that can provide you with confidential assistance in understanding and resolving issues related to the demands of student life and studying in Australia. They can also assist with accommodation options, budgeting, time management skills, crisis management skills and other things.


SuniTAFE Student Residences in Mildura is an independent, communal living facility set in a spacious garden setting. There is an outdoor BBQ and shady lawn area for students to enjoy. Shared and single bedrooms are available with communal bathrooms. All rooms are fully furnished, carpeted, air-conditioned and heated and are serviced weekly. The complex is approximately a 20 minute walk or five minute drive from Mildura’s city centre.

SuniTAFE also provides a referral service to real estate agencies to source privately rented accommodation for students studying in Swan Hill, or wishing to live off campus in Mildura.

Working while studying

Once you have commenced your course in Australia you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the term and unlimited hours during term break. There are various casual employment opportunities in the Mildura region in the agriculture, hospitality and retail industries. Our International Students Unit can provide guidance in finding part-time jobs but cannot guarantee employment.

You will be required to obtain a tax file number if you intend to work. You may also be required to make superannuation (pension fund) contributions that you may be eligible to access when you leave Australia. Please contact the Australian Taxation Office for more information.

Living expenses

In addition to your tuition fees, you will be responsible for planning and budgeting for your living costs. The Department of Home Affairs have suggested funds required for prospective students for visa applications to demonstrate their ability to meet living costs in Australia is A$20,290.00 per year. All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit 

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework

The Australian Government wants international students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding experience. The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework is a set of legal regulations related to your rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia on a student visa. It sets guidelines and minimum standards to protect you as a student as well as protecting Australia’s reputation for providing quality education and support services. It also provides tuition and financial assurance.

Working Holiday Visas

People on Working Holiday Visas are able to study any course full time or part time for up to 17 weeks.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

International students are required to have OSHC for themselves (and any dependants) for the entire duration of their stay in Australia. The OSHC is designed to cover the costs for medical and hospital care that you may need while in Australia without causing you undue financial hardship. The fee for OSHC is included in your Letter of Offer. SuniTAFE will purchase OSHC on your behalf through Medibank Private. However, if you wish to purchase your OSHC through another provider please advise the International Students Unit of your membership details. OSHC will pay benefits towards medical and hospital treatments, ambulance service and most prescription medicines that you receive while studying in Australia.

A broad range of medical services, including medical specialists, are available in Mildura and Swan Hill. There are many general practitioners that are available for general health issues and the Mildura Base Hospital and Swan Hill District Hospital offer a comprehensive outpatients service.