We have put together a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) that are common among students who wish to enrol with us at SuniTAFE.

This page provides answers to these questions and also links that provide additional answers that may be useful to you.

If you think of a question that is not answered here, please don't hesitate to contact us.

How much will my course cost?
Course costs may differ depending on an individual’s own circumstances and whether or not concessions apply. For more information refer to our Fees & Charges page.
How do I apply/enrol?
You can apply online, or visit any of our campuses located at Mildura and Swan Hill.
When does my course start?
Each course may have a unique start time. Check with your course supervisor for the exact start date of your course. Semesters generally start in January and July. For a list of important dates, have a look at our calendar.
How is the course delivered?
SuniTAFE courses can be delivered in a classroom, on-site, in the workplace or by flexible delivery which means you can study at your own pace in a place that suits you. Some courses have an online component or workshops you need to attend.
Am I eligible for Free TAFE?
From 1 January 2019, Free TAFE for Priority and Pre-apprenticeship courses covers tuition fees for students who are eligible for government-subsidised training.
Any Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen is eligible to do Free TAFE for Priority Courses in Victoria if they meet the following criteria:
  • Under 20 or upskilling: 
    • are aged under 20 (regardless of any other qualifications they might hold), or
    • are 20 or older and enrolling in a course that is a higher qualification than the highest qualification previously attained.
Victorians who need additional support, who are: 
  • Unemployed and clients of the Jobs Victoria Employment Network; 
  • Retrenched workers; or 
  • Automotive supply chain workers. 
Looking to change careers: 
Victorians who want to reskill, change careers, improve their employment prospects and/or meet the needs of local industries, subject to availability of TAFE places, and prioritised based on need.
Am I eligible for government funding?
In order to check your entitlement to government funding, we will have to ask you LOTS of questions in your application! Government funding means the government pays a part of your course costs, and you pay some. If we don’t have all the answers to our questions, we can’t assess if you’re eligible for funding.
If you also have a Concession card (government-issued Health Care, Pension etc.) which is valid by the time you enrol, you may be eligible for further discounts, and we need to have a copy. Let us know in your application, and we’ll send you a link where you can photograph or upload the card. Visit the Victorian Skills Gateway to find out more about your funding eligibility.  
What is an LLNA?
An LLNA is a literacy, language and numeracy assessment that determines your suitability for and capability to complete the course you have applied for.
What is a USI?
All students enrolling in Nationally Recognised Training will need to provide a USI. If you do not have a USI you can register online.

The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
  • creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
  • will give you access to your training records and transcripts
  • can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
  • is free and easy to create and
  • stays with you for life.
What do I need to bring to enrol?
What to bring along?
To fast track the enrolment process, please bring the following items with you (where applicable):
– a current green Medicare Card
– Bank Details (if setting up a Payment by Instalment Plan)
– Deposit (if setting up a Payment Plan – with centre pay it is $80, and with debt success it would be $250)
– Concession Card
– Valid email address
For students who are under 20, please bring ONE of the following:
  • Drivers Licence
  • Learners Permit
  • Proof of age card
  • Key pass
  • Australian Birth Certificate
  • Passport
How do I access SuniTAFE Systems?
For step by step information to acess our systems - check out the How to access SuniTAFE system guides here: 

If you have problems accessing the student network (SuniCONNECT) please contact the Library
Phone:  (03) 5036 0234
Email: LRC@sunitafe.edu.au
Or ask staff at the Library Service Desk.